Monday, January 5, 2009

Reflecting on 2008


Looking back at 2008, I realized so many things happened to us. I really hadn't taken the time to look back on the trials and blessings that touch our immediate and extended family.

2008 took off with my 5th month of pregancy. I still was hardly showing, but Matt and I began to look forward to the birth of our first child. We kept in mind that the Lord's will is always supreme over our own, but as much as we could, we planned.

In February, my paternal grandfather, Pappa, became very ill. The diagnosis of Parkinson's disease was not a total shock to us, but was still a bitter pill to swallow. He was placed in the hospital and never recovered. My parents spent a lot of time in Denton with him and my Mamma. The Lord finally called him home Friday, May 16th.

The phone rang very early that morning with the news. I was sad, but rejoiced that he was with our Lord and Savior. Pappa was a Godly and goodly man. He was a wonderful grandfather to me! That same day I went to the doctor for my 36th week check. This was the first time I had been examined.

Matt and I went to the doctor very sad from the earlier news. The doctor did the exam and much to my surprise, I was 3cm dialated and 75%effaced. Because I was not full term, I was put on bedrest until the following Tuesday when I was to see him again. Tuesday came and I was at 4cm and 85% so the doctor decided to induce me that day. My water was broken at 5:45p.m. and at 6cm I received my epidural. I wasn't in any pain at all!!! I think I could have gone longer without it, but because I progressed so fast, I might not have gotten it at all. At 10p.m. I was ready to push, but the doctor wasn't there, so I waited until 10:15. I pushed with 3 contractions and Ian was born at 10:38p.m. May 20th.

Our lives changed with the loss of my Pappa and the birth of Ian. It happened so close together. God's will and purpose often surprises us, but with death he brought forward new life. Isn't that the story of salvation? We are dead in sin and trespasses and the Lord brings forth new life within us when he saves us!

Looking back at 2008, I thank the Lord for his steadfast love even through trials. He does give us more than we can bear alone, but not more than we can bear with his love and grace by our side.

Thanks be to GOD! To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments: