So last night, Matt brought the tree in from the garage for me to decorate. This year is different than the years previous because we are a real family now. This year we have a sweet baby boy named Ian.
In all of the years past, putting up the tree seemed to be just one of those "girlish" things that I did. Matt never really cared much about it. This year, Matt kept asking if I was going to put it up. "Are you going to put up the tree this weekend?" He would ask. I think he cared more because we have the baby now. He wanted to see Ian enjoy the tree.
After I finished putting on all of the lights and ornaments, I went upstairs to retrieve Ian from his nap. When he saw the tree, he just stared and stared. I took him over to it and he reached out his chubby little hand and touched the tree. Then he went to an ornament and ever so gently touched it. He was in awe of the glittering lights and trimmings.
If only we could look at the simple things in life like a little child does. We take for granted the mundane. I have put those ornaments on for six years and have forgotten what they look like. Ian saw them as beautiful shiny objects that he just could not resist touching.
The next time you see a beautiful flower, don't just look at it and go on. Take a moment to smell it and touch the soft petals. Be as a child would be. Remind yourself that God created everything, and we should not take that for granted. In a moment, he can take it all away.

1 comment:
Avery loves the tree too and she's still soooo little:) I bet it's super special if you're old enough to really enjoy it, like Ian is! He's darling Laura! I love reading your blog:)
Post a Comment